While many things change around the world, you can trust a few things always stay the same around the River Realm. The views, the shopping, the food and good people are all still here waiting for you. Plan a getaway to our special slice of Virginia’s lands and waters.
While you’re here, enjoy our local restaurants, boutiques, and inns–many of which are owned and operated by women. Their extra special attention to detail and love for the region’s bounty shines through with every stop along the way. Leave with gifts for everyone on your “nice” list and a few just for you.
Where To Stay
Snuggle up in Urbanna’s Atherston Hall. The home was built in 1880 for a local schooner captain and his family. Though the building may be old, the experience is refreshing and modern. Crisp linens and soft lighting will greet you. Reserve a whole suite for the family or check into a room just for two. The bed and breakfast is nestled only one block away from the waterfront, docks, local beaches, and all sorts of fun in Urbanna.
Where to Shop
- Cyndy’s Bynn: This upscale women’s boutique in Urbanna is packed with a diverse array of fashion and gifts in every color. You’ll see the river inspires many of the home decor items, hats, and jewelry.
- RS Bristow’s: Take time to check out all of the cozy and polished everyday necessities in the area’s only surviving general store. The owner regularly heads out on shopping trips to hand select items in the boutique for both men and women.
- Lowe Tide: Sarah Grace Hurley stocks Lowe Tide with sweaters from Cupcakes and Cashmere, jewelry from Julie Vos. Dresses, shoes, gifts, and men’s clothing from popular brands also line the walls. Discover chic nautical art for the home, too.
- Marshall’s Drug Store: This retro store is stocked with thoughtful home decor gifts to beauty supplies. Don’t forget to indulge in a famous limeade or milkshake while you shop!
- Nauti Nell’s: Over in Deltaville, you’ll want to make sure you stop into Raynell Smith’s unique slice of shopping heaven. Find nautical books, glasses, candles, clocks, paintings, and marine gear here in this adorable gift shack.
- Rivah Shack Treasures: Across the street, a 10,000 square-foot treasure chest awaits for your hunting pleasure. The shop is lined with furniture, home decor, jewelry, toys, art, and antiques from 45 vendors with a broad array of interests and styles.
- J & W Seafood: J&W Seafood sells seafood, yes. Susan Wade also ensures you can fill a basket with gourmet goodies like dips, wine, craft beers, cooking utensils and fishing gear.
Where to Eat
- Something Different: You’ll be drawn to by the scent of the on-site smokers here before you even walk in. Order up Texas-style beef brisket, craft brews on tap, specialty cocktails, or perfectly puffed beignets. On your way out, take a lap around the retail store to take home some farm-raised meats, specialty rubs, sauces, freshly baked pies and bread, homemade ice cream, wines, and cookbooks.
- Big Oak Cafe: This warm and cozy cottage-style restaurant serves up classic items with a twist just outside of Urbanna. For brunch, start with the french toast made from fresh-baked bread. She crab soup, fried green tomatoes, chicken salad, and paninis can also help fuel your day in the River Realm.
- The Table at Wilton: Chef Helen Elizabeth Ward creates magic here in Deltaville. Her fresh takes on southern classics include a blueberry barbecue bone-in pork chop. Order breakfast, lunch, and dinner for one or a whole crowd and pick it up curbside.
- The Galley: Get ready to be full! This local eatery features specials all week like Prime Rib Night and Pasta Night. Everything is always made from scratch. Be sure to request some special Galley Sauce to top off your dishes. Wash them back with happy hour specials featuring buckets of beers, rail drinks, and wine.
- J&W Seafood: We suggested popping in here to polish off a delicious gift basket. J & W is also a full-service seafood market with prepared items ready to grab and go and fresh catches of the day. Bring some of the freshness of the river home to your own kitchen.
- Dano’s: Enjoy America’s most popular food. Baking cheesy pizza pie is Gina Custis’ specialty, complete with all your favorite toppings and a healthy salad on the side.
See More Day Trip to the River Realm Guides
To help you find your way to a #WanderLove getaway, we’ve been sharing day trip guides and spotlighting charming towns like Kilmarnock. Our blog is always full of new, updated travel itineraries for any goal: food, shopping, wine, family, and dogs. Click here to read more.